Monday, August 15, 2011

Lost in space

Well fresh from getting over how long my legs are (I worked out what caused the revelation of my leg length; it's because you can't see my hips in that photo.) I started the task that I have been long threatening to start, like since last 2008: tidying my eaves. Oh dear goodness.

When my parents got our roof space converted for our bedrooms the pitch of the roof gave us space beside our rooms so David and I had space to store things. You'd think that'd be a good thing. Nope, turned out it was a bad thing, as it appears that since c.1992 I have thrown nothing away. Nothing.

This is what my eaves looked like. Dump. Highlights in this photo include my French files, Wallace and Gromit clock, squash racket (I never even played squash!), first year art box, Tufty Top cycling helmet box and a book on Princess Diana.
The things I found ended up being so ridiculous I started tweeting them under #TinaLostinSpace. But even at that, I couldn't tweet everything because I'm sure I would be unfollowed by people. So instead I am turning to my blog to write about the things I found. Such treasures they are.

That's right, that's Jimmy 'Jim'll Fix It' Saville's autograph there.  He spelt my name Teena.  I shouldn't think that's cool, but it kind of is.
It goes with this picture. So many things going on in that picture. The kilt. The stick. The glasses. The thumbs up. The bracelet. His expression. Our expressions. He actually makes us look good.
There was also a little store of our Primary School magazine, The Seagull. I took photos of the work I had published.

I had to send this to Jill. Goodness, it would bring a tear to your eye. Well, except for that bit about my fragility, that's just funny.

That is some neat handwriting for a P3! It must have been that which got it in the magazine. Goodness knows it wasn't the drawing of the combine harvester.
'I promise to do my best, to do my duty to God, to serve the Queen and to help other people and to keep the Brownie Guide Law.'
Once a good Methodist, always a good Methodist.
Nearly complete too. If you happen to have 5, 6 and 122 I'd be most grateful. Also found my World Cup stickers. I was big into stickers.
Remember the days of song sheets for Mannafest? Also found the song book for Summer Madness 1995 and 1996. Shut up, there were no data projectors back then.
Just incase you're curious as to who spoke when.
That's right, that's the original Toy Story. I had a thing about cinema tickets, I used to put them on my wall. I also found tickets for Goldeneye, The Truth About Cats and Dogs, Apollo 13, Twister and practically any other film that came out in 1995-96.


I fully expect to find every edition of Sugar and Bliss I ever bought.
A poster from Bliss. I wasn't that fond of him actually. Still it's good I saved it all these years.

This guy was on the other side. I have no idea who he is. I even looked at his Wikipedia and I'm still none the wiser.
This was in my Methody box of memories. This was in their early days (2002).  In another box I also found a flyer for Halcyon Days at Summer Madness. I don't think I went. Again, good I kept it though.

Still to come: excerpts from my diaries 1989-91 and my old glasses. Oh glory.

2 comments:

Brian Fisher said...

Hilarious. Without my own eaves, I still managed to collect huge amounts of 'treasures' over the years. It takes ages to discipline yourself into throwing stuff away. I seem to remember sticking a cinema ticket in a scrap book, and the train ticket that went with it... for Dumb and Dumber maybe? On the topic of Kavana, your mystery poster, I have googled, wikipediaed, and listened to his latest music on myspace... I don't remember him either.

Looking forward to the post on old glasses!

Tina said...

Ha ha! That's brilliant you kept that stuff too, makes me feel not quite so 'special'. I think it was my intention to make a scrapbook sometime too! I mean, really?

Will get on to the glasses post soon. There's some crackers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails