Monday, July 30, 2007

My, my

It’s nearly been a week since I posted a blog. I’ve been busy, don’t know with what now that I come on here. But here are some highlights:

- Evidently I wasn’t spending my time reading Harry Potter as I only up to P340 or something (rule no. 94 If you are going to talk about ‘where you are up to’ in Harry Potter, a page number is the only reference you can give).

- Met Nicky and Heidi on their way back to the motherland on Thursday. I laughed til it hurt hearing tales of their holiday.

- This was the second time last week I laughed til it hurt. The first was quoting lines from ‘Airplane’. ‘What kind of plane is it? Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol.’

- Actually, it was the third time. The first time was when I was teaching my GCSE class. I had tried to write ‘disastrous’ on the board (in reference to Russia’s 1904 war with Japan). I said ‘I don’t think I spelt that right’, to which they replied ‘yeah we think you spelt ‘illiterate’ wrong as well.’

- No, excuse me, it was the fourth. The actual second time was with my Year 1s. We’re looking at the History of Singapore and I was doing a recap of what we’d done and this boy kept on chipping in getting clarification on things. And he said ‘so the Dutch had control of the Malay archipelago and Raffles took over that Malay island…what’s it called again?’ To which another boy, with all the 'd’uh' in his voice he could muster said ‘Singapore’... I blame his Geography teacher.

- So for those of you keeping track, it was ‘illiterate’, ‘Singapore’, ‘Airplane’ and stories from Nicky and Heidi in chronological order of laughing til it hurts. Laughing til it hurts is great.


- I saved the world on Friday. Well I tried. I finally put those bags for your toilet cistern in (They were another 'birthday present' along with the fabric softener). I got one in on my own (without the assistance of the engineer they offered) but in one toilet the ballcock is wedged in and the bag won't fit. Sadly, for the world, this is on the toilet that I actually use.

-My Year 3s and I came up with a plan which could also help save the world. Now, it might be more of a Sheryl Crow than an Al Gore, but hear us out. What if A5 paper was the norm, not A4? We'd save loads of paper. Around half we'd say. There might need to be some adjustment in the size of handwriting but I think when you consider what is at stake who wouldn't want to write slightly smaller. It's the world we're talking about people!

- It was the school musical (Joseph) on Friday and Saturday night. I was like a proud parent looking at my students who were in it. I mean, it was no ‘My Fair Lady’ xBHSers, but still quite good.

- I went to the National Museum of Singapore on Saturday to see what they had for the proposed school trip. There’s loads of displays and relevant things but I was devastated to learn that there are no, as in zero, zip, nada, worksheets. What sort of national museum has an education department and no worksheets?!

- I found a cat meowing outside my apartment today. Cats seems to gravitate towards people in my family! I’m not too sure if it was stray or not, but the St. Francis of Assisi that I am, I gave it some tuna and helped him on his merry way. I toyed with the idea of keeping him just so as to see my landlady’s face. She has a kitten herself every time the yappy dog starts up because she thinks it’s mine. ‘Yes that’s right, even though it’s against our tenancy agreement , I have a dog and I kick it out every time you come around to next door so as you won’t suspect anything. Oh and I’m also clever enough to clear up any tell tale signs of a dog before you come in, like bowls, leads and hairs. Ha ha, fooled you.’

Right enough, if I owe you an email, and let’s face it, I probably do, you’ll excuse me if I go to bed now and read some more of Mr. Potter. Night night.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails